The Harvest

I got the call on Friday, June 14th to be at the hospital in Portland at 6:30 AM to begin harvesting stem cells. The process involves a Red Cross Technician, an intricate machine called the Cobe Spectra, and me lying on a bed for most of six hours. The goal was to harvest 10 million stem cells. Saturday brought in 2.55 million.


The Cobe Spectra

Sunday was a carbon copy of Saturday, but brought in only 1.94 million cells. I was called back to the hospital Sunday evening for a shot of Plerixafor, a very expensive chemical to supercharge my stem cell productivity. Monday brought only 1.94 million, and after another Plerixafor shot, Tuesday brought 1.51. The good news is that they add up to, “Close Enough.”

Me connected to the Spectra

Me connected to the Spectra

When Mike, the Red Cross Technician was shutting down the stem cell transfer machine, I heard it beep an SOS.  I asked if that’s what it was and he looked quite surprised.  He said I was his first patient who recognized the signal.  I didn’t tell him I know that code because of a 70’s music group, SOS – Sounds Of Success.

The harvest season ended for me with a bag of platelets to be infused into one of those handy tubes hanging out of my chest. Before being connected to the bag, I was asked to sign another waiver.  There seemed to have been several each day and they all basically said, “We’re doing our best, but this could kill you.”  The nurse explained that the platelets were from a human donor, and I could have bad side effects.  I asked how long the side effects might take to show up.  She said, “Oh, in 15 minutes you might have a lot of trouble breathing….. we’ll know.”

There must be something good in platelets because I felt much less exhausted at the end of this day, or maybe it was just knowing this part of the process was over. I was discharged to go home in fragile condition and instructed to avoid any activity that could lead to bleeding, internal or external (I always try to avoid activities that could lead to bleeding anyway).  Friday I will check into the hospital for my long-term stay, receiving “Brink of Death” chemo Friday and Saturday.  Monday they will put my stem cells back in me and by about July 11th, it will become apparent if they are doing as we hope.  July 15th of my hospital calendar is marked, “Home soon if doing well.”  During my stay, I will be able to send and receive emails and have visitors who are not sick.

Thank you again to my cousin, Abraham, for all the great help and support when Diane couldn’t be there.


8 comments on “The Harvest

  1. Don MacDonald says:

     OK let me know when your up to Vistors at the hospital I will come over and see ya.  YOU Look very  com and relax. MY prayers are with ya.   LIKE I say I dont have a problem of coming up at proadence will it be on NE 42nd  or in Beavertion I think it may be on NE 422nd in Portland .   OK talk to ya when you  can get in touch  see ya soon.    thank you for the up date.  DON


  2. Jan Bortnem says:

    Hi Scott,
    Mark and I are thinking of you…lots! We are hoping and praying that you have confidence in your Drs., that you are as comfortable as you can be, and that you know you are in the arms of God throughout this entire adventure…….and I’m sure that the intraveinous Mt. Dew is probably one of the most beneficial parts of all your medical care!
    Love always,
    Jan and Mark (and family)

  3. Tom Roth says:

    You are one tough hombre Scott ! Cool technology. Glad you have the opportunity to try it !

  4. Pamela Campbell says:

    Thanks for all the updates. I look forward to more post about your journey.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s